October is almost here and we can't stop thinking about books! With October being National Book month AND Friends of the Library week falling in October, there sure is a lot to celebrate. We celebrate the joy brought to us by paper, ink, binding and the words that make a book come alive. In honor of National Book Month, we wanted to share some fun book facts you can pass along to your friends and some ideas on how you can spread the book love this month in your library!
1. The covers of the first printed books were covered in drawings, leather and even gold - but no author’s name.
2. Norman Bridwell, author of Clifford, almost called his big red dog Tiny, but his wife suggested Clifford - the name of her childhood imaginary friend.
3. People who read more have more complex brains and reading helps keep your memory sharp.
4. “Biblichor" is the word that describes the particular smell that belongs to old books. “Bibliosmia” is the word for liking the smell of old books!
5. Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables, has the longest sentence ever printed - 823 words.
6. Books used to be chained to shelves in libraries, in order to prevent stealing.
7. When a person is reading fiction, their ability to empathize is improved.
8. It's rumored that President Teddy Roosevelt read one book per day - now that's dedication!
9. Dr. Seuss said he expected to spend "a week or so" writing The Cat in the Hat. It ended up taking a year and a half.
10. There are over 130 million books in existence.
Books are truly a very interesting topic! Writing, language, and reading connects us all. Moving on to activities, we thought of two essential ones to add to your schedule.
Outdoor book sale -
We've all heard about a book sale, but why not make it outside! This nice fall weather won't last for long so might as well make the most out of it. A book sale is a fun way to not only raise money for your library, but also to draw in a crowd for a good reason, books.
Friends Donate -
You can't have one without the other. Besides a book sale, a book donation or book exchange is a great way to help others give while also receiving something in return. Give a book, get a book, or just donate!
Penworthy Prebound Books are the high-circulation titles kids WANT to read in a binding that is guaranteed to last. All titles are in-stock and ready to ship with no back orders.